Approval ratings may be down for the President and our very dysfunctional Congress. However, for political candidates to attack all that is government is to attack a broad section of government employees who perform needed tasks to continue to make this nation functioning and safe at the national, state, and local levels.
Easy to forget, not all government workers are in the United States Congress or are residents of Washington.
Just a reminder: government employees at the local, state, and federal levels consist of:
- Military Personnel
- First Responders (Police, Fire, Medical)
- Teachers (Primary, Secondary, University)
- Postal Workers
- Case Managers (Social Security, Food Stamps, Medicaid, Unemployment)
- State, Local, and Federal Highway Maintenance Workers
- City Bus Drivers
- Sanitation Workers
- Air Traffic Controllers
- Tea Party Congress Men and Women
- Republican Governors
- Park Service Personnel (Federal, State, Local)
- Federal, State, Local Judges
- Agency Lawyers
- IRS Employees (Federal, State, Local)
- Animal Control Officers
And this very small list could be easily expanded.
Americans may be disillusioned with Congress, but to eliminate government would be to reduce some very important services performed by hard working government employees who also pay taxes.
Have a Good Labor Day!